When downsizing a lifetime, a person with memory loss has a great need for support weeks or even months before their move. Choosing a Senior Move Manager® ensures this person has someone by their side that will be able to work with the challenges they may be facing:
- The inability to problem-solve
- The inability to complete multi-step activities such as preparing a meal or balancing a checkbook
- Personality changes or unusual behaviors
- Remembering recent events or conversations
- Plan, start, or organize tasks
Find the right words or names for everyday things, such as a clock or a stove
- Comprehend or follow even simple instructions
- Keep track of the time and where they are
The ability to understand how to communicate with each other, Senior Move Manager® and client & families, is imperative to the success of a transition like this. You can read more on this topic by visiting my blog post, 5 Tips for Downsizing with Dementia: https://organizedhaven.com/5-tips-for-downsizing-with-dementia/
WE HAVE DOWNSIZING RESOURCES AVAILABLE THAT TRADITIONAL MOVING COMPANIES DO NOT
While Senior Move Management businesses can look different from one another, they all have two main characteristics that define how they are different than traditional moving companies:
- A focus on older adults or specialty moves:
- Although some Senior Move Managers® provide services to people of all ages, they are specifically trained and experienced serving the older adult demographic
- Full-service solutions:
- Planning and preparing for the move
- Developing floor plans
- Preparing the client’s home for sale
- Scheduling and overseeing movers (or performing the move in-house)
- Handling donations
- Shipping items to family members
- Arranging for storage
- Profitably disposing of unwanted belongings
- Packing (if properly insured)
- Unpacking and resettling the new home (also, if properly insured)
If a moving company claims to specialize in working with seniors who are downsizing, ask questions to properly understand the specific training their movers receive to be able to offer support to seniors who have the above needs.
A COMPREHENSIVE, DONE-FOR-YOU SOLUTION IS PROVIDED TO THOSE WHO REQUIRE A HANDS-OFF APPROACH TO MOVING
Considerable differences exist between Senior Move Management companies. The personality and focus of each business tends to reflect the expertise and interests of its owners.
Our Senior Move Management company was founded in 2013 under the Professional Organizer model. I saw moving as “the ultimate organizational challenge.” So did the senior living communities who enlisted my support to help their prospective residents prepare to move. It’s common for someone in their 60s to 90s to say they are going to need a couple of years to downsize before they’re ready to move.
For those who can’t afford to wait that long, it can be imperative they have white-glove support and a company who can provide a completely done-for-them solution.